Before slavery was really considered a crime against humanity (or humans, to be precise), many argued for its maintenance. Some of the main arguments are summarised here, including:
- Slavery has always existed
- Every society in the past has had slavery
- The slaves can't take care of themselves
- Free people are worse off than slaves
- Getting rid of slavery will require violence
- Slaves can be made well off by providing them with free housing, good clothes and regular meals. Why take this away from them?
For me it sounds like we are told that we are worse off free than as enslaved citizens.
For me it sounds like I am being told: You are bound within the state, and are better off like this, since the state has always existed and men without a state cannot take care of themselves without inflicting violence on each other.
I say: Bullshit!