Sunday, July 14, 2013

Give me advice, and no more

Give me as much advice as you please, but constrain me to nothing. I decide upon my own proper risk and peril, and surely that is enough without the tyrannical intervention of law.
..says Bastiat (The Bastiat Collection, p. 982), and I agree.
By what right does the organizer of artificial systems venture to think, act, and choose, not only for himself, but for everyone else? for, after all, he belongs to the human race, and in that respect is fallible; and he is so much the more fallible in proportion as he pretends to extend the range of his science and his will.
..says Bastiat (The Bastiat Collection, pp. 970-971), and how true! Those who want to rule us all (either as tyrants of "representatives" in a democracy) should keep their good advice to themselves if they want to put it into law and enforce them via the force of the police or military.

No comments: