Saturday, May 05, 2007

Lets do nothing

I am not the biggest fan of weather forecasts. I will observe them from day to day to see if I should wear my big winter jacket or my small summer jacket the following day, but that's about it. But I will quote those who say that doing "something" about the weather is a hopeless quest:

It's hardly news that human beings have had a hand in the planetary warming that began more than 30 years ago. For nearly a century, scientists have known that increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide would eventually result in warming that was most pronounced in winter, especially on winter's coldest days, and a cooling of the stratosphere. All of these have been observed. ... However, actually 'doing something' about warming is a daunting endeavor. The journal Geophysical Research Letters estimated in 1997 that if every nation on Earth lived up to the United Nations' Kyoto Protocol on global warming, it would prevent no more than 0.126 degrees F of warming every 50 years. Global temperature varies by more than that from year to year, so that's not even enough to measure. Climatically, Kyoto would do nothing. (#)
So what if humans are having an impact on global climate? So are animals that die and release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. So are volcanoes that erupt. So is the sun that varies in energy release all the time. Humans need energy to continue raising their standard of living. If this need for energy changes the climate, so be it! I am anti-green because I am pro-human. That pretty much sums it up for me, and no fooling around with temperature records will change that.

No comments: